Meet the District Attorney
James E. Stewart, Sr., born in Shreveport and raised on family values and a strong work ethic, is a distinguished lawyer and former judge with 35 years of experience leading Caddo Parish.
He is a Hall of Fame honor graduate of the historic C.E. Byrd High School who continued on to receive his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of New Orleans and his Juris Doctorate degree from Loyola School of Law.
Over his successfol career in Shreveport, James has demonstrated his Jong-term commitment to civic, social, and community engagement. He has held the positions of Assistant City Attorney, Assistant District Attorney, and First District Attorney. He has promoted professional development through his membership and leadership in numerous professional organizations. James has supported the community by founding youth mentoring programs including the West Shreveport Little League, West Shreveport Sports Association, and "The Keepers of the Vineyard."
James Stewart is married to Helen Gafford Stewart. He is the proud father of five children: James, Jr., Adrienne, David, Jonathan, and Andrea, as well as two step-children, Jared and Trae. He also has one grandchild.
Please see below for a full list of career milestones, education details, professional affiliations, and honors.
- Second Circuit Court of Appeal, Appellate Judge, Sept I, 1994 to present..
- First Judicial District Court, Judge, Jan I, 1991 to Aug 31, 1994
- Caddo District Attorney's Office, First Assistant District Attorney, 1989-1990
- Caddo Parish District Attorney's Office, Assistant District Attorney, (1982-1989)
- Shreveport City Attorney's Office, Assistant City Attorney 1980-1982
- Loyola University School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana: Juris Doctorate (1980)
- University of New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana: Bachelor of Arts (1977)
- C. E. Byrd High School, Shreveport, Louisiana: Graduate (1973)
PROFESSIONAL, CIVIC AND BUSINESS AFFILIATIONS
- American Bar Association, Louisiana State Bar Association, Shreveport Bar Association, National Bar Association
- National Bar Association Judicial Council-American Bar Association Appellate Division
- Louisiana Conference of Court of Appeal Judges
- Louisiana Law Institute
- Louisiana Judicial Council-National Bar Association
- Past President, Louisiana Judicial Council-National Bar Association
- Webmaster, Louisiana Judicial Council-National Bar Association
- lncorporator, Louisiana Judicial Council-National Bar Association
- Vice President, Louisiana Judicial Council-National Bar Association
- Louisiana Supreme Court Committee to Study Plain Civil Jury Instructions
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Assistant Bar Examiner
- Rho Omega Chapter, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated - Life Member and past Basileus
- West Shreveport Little League, Incorporated - Founder and Coach
- West Shreveport Sports Association - Founder and Coach
- Zion Baptist Church - Deacon, Lay Minister
- Louisiana Judicial Councli-National Bar Association, Sara J. Harper Humanitatian Award (2012)
- Shreveport Branch NAACP, Dr. Jessie N. Stone Pioneer Award (2012)
- Omega Citizen of the Year (2005)
- Paul Lynch Award (1993)
- Rho Omega Chapter, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Man of the Year Award (1991 and 1992)
- C. E. Byrd High School Hall of Fame (1991)
- Caddo Community Action Agency, Legal Services Award (1990)
- Caddo Community Action Agency, Legal Profession Award ( 1989)
- Outstanding Young Men of America (1980 and 1983)
- Leadership Shreveport Program ( 1981)
- Loyola Law School Appellate Advocacy Team (1978-1980)
- Loyola Law School Clinical Program (1978-1980)
- Member, United Methodist Travel Seminar to Africa ( 1974)